For more information, contact: Caleb Williamson at (620) 848-2390.
Click here for an interactive guide to Cherokee County’s health rankings.
Community Guide Mini-Grant
As part of the 2011 Community Guide mini-grant initiative in SEK, Cherokee County aimed to increase physical activity among adults by promoting existing health programs and improving community exercise courses. Among other activities, they:
- Purchased and installed walking and running signs around designated local courses,
- Promoted existing exercise programs at a local community health center,
- Provided residents with pedometers and reflective vests for their exercise activities,
- Developed a fitness network among participants through a buddy system and contact information tree, and
- Provided all participants with a free health screening.
The Southeast Kansas Meltdown is a 6-week regional challenge designed to improve the health and well-being of residents. Open to anyone age 18 and older, the SEK Meltdown’s goal is to support our region in becoming more active and making healthier choices about what we eat and drink!
Too often the counties in SEK compete against each other. The SEK Meltdown is still an opportunity for residents from all 6 counties to compete, but in a positive way. Through the 6-week program participants will join with their neighbors in walking clubs, Zumba classes, line dancing, nutrition and meal planning classes and physical fitness instruction. Participants will track their progress through secure logins at www.sekmeltdown.com, and are welcome to participate in any SEK Meltdown event in any of the six participating counties.
The SEK Meltdown is an initiative of Thrive Southeast Kansas and the Southeast Kansas Regional Health Initiative, both of which were created to address the chronic health issues that affect the quality of life in our region.
Kick-off festivity: TBD
Results from 2011: Coming soon!
Other Health Resources
- Let’s Move!: The First Lady’s initiative to help families eat healthier and be more active.
- My Plate: The U.S. Department of Agriculture’d easy guide to eating better.
- CDC Exercise Guidelines: Ever wonder how much exercise you’re actually supposed to get in a week? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention can help!
- Healthy Recipes from the Mayo Clinic: Recipes for better health from a world-renown non-profit that specializes in education, research, and medical care.
- Healthy Recipes from the CDC: Choose from a list of organizations that provide good-for-you, delicious recipes!
Thrive SEK is launching this blog to keep you informed about health-related news and activities in our region. At the bottom of most pages on this website, you will see the blog entries that are relevant to the topics on that page. The goal of Thrive Southeast Kansas is to encourage healthy lifestyles in our area. This website blog is just one tool that we will use to accomplish that goal. We are in the process of adding new information and features to the website, so check back regularly for updates. If you have suggestions for information to feature on this website, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for visiting.